Wednesday, May 25, 2011

phone dilemma...

Ok friends, I need help! I have this phone...





...it has served me quite nicely. I really have loved it and used it for such a long time...I really like it. Mine's really pitiful, missing over 1/2 the keys and recently it just stopped working. It will let me send and receive texts but I can not hear anyone on the other side. It will sometimes ring, but when I answer there is nothing on the other side.

So here's my dilemma. Apparently it's like 2011 or something and they don't make normal cell phones anymore... I was told I get a free upgrade, but guess what, it's not really free. I hate all the options and I don't want to pay for something I don't like. Also most phones they sale now you have to get a data package. What's this?!?! When did we have to have internet to make a phone call?!?! It makes me a little sad.

My Mom's been encouraging me to get an I-phone...she's loving hers. I am starting to be tempted if I have to buy a phone with a data plan why not go big right?! I'm so conflicted. I feel like I'm selling out to what I really want a phone for and I will never be able to just enjoy my freedom of not being attached to the internet if I get a phone with internet access...I need help. What phone do you recommend?

I don't have a contract so my options are endless. Please tell me what phone I should get and why....


thanks.

5 comments:

  1. Don't get a smart phone unless you really, really need it, not worth the money. They charge you so much money for a data plan plus a regular cell phone plan, it's highway robbery. Don't let them convince you that you "need" a smart phone with a data plan. Kathleen and I just got phones recently and avoided smart phones because Verizon requires you to purchase a data plan. Instead, we got a phone that did not classify as a smart phone but that works as a great mp3 player. Look around before spending so much money. Also, because smart phones are fairly new there's not much regulation about how companies can and cannot exploit your usage for commercial gain--i.e. tracking your movements and locations and selling those to marketers to advertise to you based on your lifestyle. I would avoid one unless work is absolutely requiring it, if they are they should pay your data plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't be much help, Robyn, since I live in the stone age myself. I only use my phone as a... phone. Although someone (who I don't know) sent me my very first "picture mail" today. I didn't know I could get that on my phone! I mean... I wonder if it's on my plan, and I wonder whether I'll have a nice extra charge on my monthly bill for receiving a picture with the words, "envy, deceit, greed, pride, slander, foolishness, adultery, and wickedness" in it! Is someone trying to tell me something???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Robyn I have the I phone and I love love love it. Yes it is expensive but it is great. I do not have a home phone I use my Iphone for any and all calls.Plus if I am in a new city or in a place that I am not familiar with I can input information and get what I need. You will have to be the one that choses.Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why can't you get just a plain old phone? Don't listen to people telling you you have to have a data plan. I was allowed to upgrade my phone sometime last year and when I walked into Verizon, I said, "I only make calls and send texts. What are my options?" And the guy showed me the wall with just plain old phones. People make fun of me for not having GPS and being able to check things online, but why do I want to pay $70+ a month when I'm perfectly capable of reading a map and checking email at home on my computer like I have all along? I'm sure an iPhone would make my life easier in some ways, but I think it would also complicate it in other ways. I don't want to be dependent on technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What did you settle on?? I am in the same dilemma right now. Mike and I have a talk+text plan only. I want a new phone, but all the good phones are all fancy schmancy and require a data plan. I don't want a data plan, but I would kind of like to take pictures on my phone...

    ReplyDelete