Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fall

What's your favorite season? I hear this question often.

I like them all, I like that they change. I would get bored if things were always the same, yet I love familiarity and rituals. So change is necessary, and welcome, but also sometimes hard. I'm realizing though, I've never before really experienced seasons. It's fall. Leaves really do change beautiful shades of colors. Pumpkins are out. And it's brisk. I have read about this before, but it's not quite like what Texas has ever felt like, at least to me.

As I've been driving, reflecting, observing, I'm truly thankful for how God is using the seasons to remind me of two things, one being that He has a master plan for everything. I love that in the very beginning God knew"... and God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years..." Genesis 1:14-15.

Then in Ecclesiastes He reminds us again of the way He orchestrates time:
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. "

I'm learning about the season change in my life. How it's beautiful and painful all at once. I'm learning how the gorgeous changes of colors means that soon things die, fall off, and get blown away. I know fall won't last forever. I want to enjoy it, but I also want to give myself permission to be sad that things are changing. So I'm trying to trust in God that has a plan, when most days I do not know how to even begin this new adventure. I want to love God who has given a new place, a fresh start, and who has taken friends (really amazing ones) away from my immediate reach, familiarity, and comfort in that place. I want to love God who is never changing in the midst of a new season, a new place, and a new adventure. Although it's beautiful, it's a little scary!

What's your favorite season?

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you get to experience the beautiful colors of Fall. We all miss you here in Houston. I'm praying this time of transition is filled with reminders of God's control and love for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Praying for you each day that you will see all the amazing and wonderful things that God has in store for you and your life. Most of us resist change and only accept change when we are forced to do so.Just know that God is in control. For those that love and follow him doors are opened that no man can open.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings on you, Robyn. I feel confident that God will bring new people into your life to walk along side you on this exciting new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh snap girl... we are in a fight. How did I not know about this blog? Don't you know my creepy blog stalking behaviors. Which leads me to say... I am not even going to tell you the creepy round about way I stumbled upon your blog!
    Missing you in H-town!

    Mohney Carr-Carr!

    ReplyDelete